pin it

Friday, April 13, 2012

Featured Friday - We are Bound Together


I would like you to meet Andrea and her Etsy shop:  WeAreBoundTogether


If you love the idea of helping others as well as having a pretty cool notebook, then you will love WeAreBoundTogether and Andrea.

Let's get to know WeAreBoundTogether and Andrea:

What would you like us to know about you?
Hello, my name is Andrea Davis from We Are Bound Together, a store featuring hand-bound books.
 
What prompted you to open an Etsy Shop?
My journey into bookbinding started when my  husband and I began thinking seriously about where our stuff came from. We started making an effort to buy products where the workers were being treated the way we would want to be treated - ethically and fairly.

This was before I knew much about Etsy. I had the hardest time finding photo albums. So I decided to look into making one myself. I had always been artsy, so I figured that there must be some way. Hence my adventure of bookbinding began.
I found that I really enjoyed the craft of creating hand-bound books. I love working with the pretty fabric and the different styles available to bookbinding. At this point all of my books were gifts to people I knew. But I felt that this was something I could really get into.

Parallel to all this, the desire to help others was something my husband and I both possessed. We didn't always do it right, but we learn through our experiences. At one point I really wished I could do more, especially for persecuted Christians around the world. They are our brothers and sisters in Christ, and as a family was should support them. We donated bits of money here and there, but the desire to help remained a passion of mine.

One day the idea came to me of the possibility of making hand-bound books to sell and the proceeds going toward those who are suffering. I had heard of Etsy by that time and that seemed like the perfect market. I was unable to fulfill that idea at that time, but it remained a dream of mine.

How did you come up with your shop name?
My store, “We Are Bound Together” combines my work of bookbinding with my desire to help persecuted Christians. The name has a double meaning. We are bound together as believers, and by hand-bound books I hope to help others. I do not donate to a single organization, but rather through a few. Currently the three that I focus on are “Voice of the Martyrs”, “Open Doors” and “International Christian Concern”.

How would you describe your shop?
A few months ago, the opportunity came where I could go through with my dream. My husband greatly encouraged me, and now I have a store on Etsy, opened only just very recently. Currently it features my “duct tape” books. The covers are recycled book covers, covered with duct tape. People like duct tape wallets so why not books too? I hope to expand to leather bound and fabric covered books in the near future as well as funky duct tape covered RFID blocking credit card holders.




If you were shipwrecked on a desert island, what are the 3 crafty must haves?
On the fun side, the three crafty items I would like to have if I were shipwrecked on a desert island are a utility knife, needle and thread. A utility knife is a must have for so many crafty things, and it must be a good one, not the cheap ones. That along with a needle and thread can produce so many wonderful things!




Where else can we find you?
My website, www.weareboundtogether.com
Etsy: www.weareboundtogether.etsy.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/pages/We-Are-Bound-Together/377723042240600

Is there anything else you would like to share?
My store is still in it's infancy, so I don't have any great advice for those considering something like what I'm doing. Only take it one day at a time and try not to get too overwhelmed. Getting started is more work than it looks, but I believe it's worth it in the end.

Thanks so much Andrea .  It has been great getting to know you and discovering your shop and your lovely items.

Now please show Andrea some support and let us know which of her pieces are your favorite from her shop! Oh...and go ahead and heart a few of her items along with her shop :)

Have a great weekend!





knitting yarns

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for this opportunity to be featured on your blog! It looks great!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting.....your comment will show up soon,,,